Recipe | Chef Deniz Tarakçıoğlu · Curator | Hakan Burcuoğlu · Venue | The Dirty Apron · Gear | Leica
Baccalà, bacalao, bachalau. Mild, flaky and ubiquitous across the Mediterranean, the venerable salted cod deserves attention not for being a friendly, entry-level fish for food dilettantes, but for its historical importance in constituting a veritable source of sustenance. Perhaps it’s this association that’s responsible for this forsaken protein’s inability to garner a spot on the right side of a hashtag. Deemed a pariah in a world it clearly dominates, Chef Deniz pays his respects to this humble, no-frills protein by introducing her to nicer friends. So be nice, and eat your history.
1 cup of baccalà [salted cod], soaked in milk over night, flaked
1 medium-sized potato, boiled soft, peeled and smashed
1 leek, white part thinly sliced, soaked in water
1 clove of garlic, sliced fine
A handful of Italian parsley, finely chopped
4 large free range eggs, beaten
50 ml heavy cream
2 tbsp butter
Method [Recipe serves 4 as an appetizer]
01. Preheat oven to 425F.
02. ln a 12-inch cast iron skillet, melt the butter on medium heat.
03. Add the loosely-drained leeks, along with a pinch of salt, into the cast iron skillet. The water content from the leeks should keep the butter emulsified until they are wilted.
04. Once the leeks are softened, turn up the heat to medium-high, add the garlic and smashed potato.
05. Whisk together the eggs and heavy cream in a mixing bowl; add a pinch of salt.
06. Once the butter fat splits and crackles, pour egg mixture into the skillet. [Ideally, the edges of the frittata should bubble up and resemble a soufflé without sticking to the skillet].
07. Add the baccalà evenly, sprinkle the parsley and place the skillet onto the middle rack of your preheated oven.
08. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the middle of the skillet appears to be loosely set.
09. With the help of an oven mitt, carefully slide the frittata onto a large plate.
10. Once the frittata reaches room temperature, serve with dressed greens, sour cream and crusty sourdough.